Shure offers a challenging and rewarding summer internship program. The twelve week program is offered to undergraduate students that have completed at least 2 years of college, as well as graduate students. Each intern will receive a competitive salary and students who reside out of Illinois will receive a housing stipend to cover living expenses for hybrid or onsite internships. Applications will be collected, reviewed and selected candidates will be contacted in late fall/early winter.
The Strategic Technology Team is looking for a rapid prototyping engineer to help research, prototype, and demonstrate forward-leaning use cases with next generation technologies for future product opportunities.
As intern for Rapid Prototyping for AR Audio, you will work on projects that relate to the audio side of Augmented Reality. Goal for this internship is to create fully functional prototypes to augment human hearing through advanced ML techniques.
The augmentation of human perception we have seen recently has mostly been in the visual domain with head mounted displays, augmented reality and virtual reality hardware and applications. However, the same principles of AR can be applied to the auditory domain: being able to selectively increase or decrease the volume of certain sound events and sound classes will augment our hearing dramatically. This internship also explores interaction methods for such systems, such as gesture, eye gaze, and conversational agents.
We are a diverse group of engineers, designers, and people with other backgrounds who invent useful, playful, and beautiful things. Or vision is to make life easier, more connected, more entertaining, more personal, and more productive. This is your opportunity to join our talented professionals as an intern to work on cutting-edge technologies and cool projects.
This internship will be 100% onsite or a combination of part-time remote/virtual and part-time in office.
• Research the most efficient, effective, and practical methods for real-time audio augmentation using blind-source separation, denoising, speech enhancement, and the like
• Develop an understanding of technical risks and opportunities, articulating trade-offs between multiple methods towards this goal
• Implement a method to achieve the desired augmented hearing function
• Create a prototype of the system that showcases the experience
• Add a user interface which allows for intuitive interaction (based on COTS sensors and dev kits)
• Keep a focus on the holistic system throughout the internship
• On track for MS in Computer Science, ML/AI, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), or related field
o Will consider an intern having completed 3 yrs toward bachelor plus previous internship experience
• Coding skills in at least one low level language (e.g., C/C++) and one high-level language (e.g., Python) is required
• Experience with common audio processing related tools and SDKs is required
• Creativity and curiosity for future technologies and a passion for realizing new capabilities is required
• An interest in or experience with audio technologies and methods is a plus
• Prior work in audio source separation, speech enhancement, or related ML audio applications is a plus
• Experience with real-time signal processing applications, real-time pattern recognition, or applied machine learning is a plus